Monday, May 25, 2009

Grandpa


Grandpa Despain passed away a couple days ago just in time for memorial day. He was such a great guy. Always had a fun sense of humor, and thought he could do anything even in his old age. I love how he just took Nathan right in to the family so easily. Since Nathans grandpas both passed away before I met Nathan, and my Grandpa Rasmussen passed away right after we met, Gpa Despain has been both of ours only Grandpa left for years now. We loved going on Sunday trips to their house to talk, play cards, and eat whatever food my grandma would make us eat :)
Grandpa was such a funny card player. The last couple times we played 3 to 13, he won both rounds and he was so excited! He would never really say how excited he was, but the small grin on his face and the line "Gloria always wins, this was just a fluke" was just hilarious to me. I'm glad Grandma let him win those last few games he played with us ;) Grandpa also made Nathan smile the biggest I've probably ever seen him smile. (You remember that mom?! Think Mole)
Today everyone is going to Birch Creek in Fountain Green to have a BBQ and have a small family memorial for him. That was his favorite place in the world and if his heaven isn't just like birch creek, I don't know what it would be. I just wish he had a chance to go to the big campout that is there in a couple weeks. Last year he came around to each of us kids and grandkids and made us promise that we would all be there this year.

I'm not very good with writing or words, so this will have to do for an ending:
I love you Grandpa, I'll miss you lots, and we'll keep Birch Creek lookin good for you.




No comments: