Friday, February 3, 2012

Bad luck London

That should be her new nickname. She's had a heart murmur that they've been keeping tabs on since she was born. When I took her in last week for RSV, the doc noticed it getting louder. So yesterday we took her in for an EKG and Echo of her heart. As soon as the cardiologist listened to her though the stethoscope, he knew she had a PDA. I had the same thing when I was little. It's basically part of the heart that is supposed to close up after birth but it doesn't close. It causes extra strain on the heart by pumping unnecessary blood through. The odd thing about this is that it's not hereditary and most common in preemies (2 out of 1,000) and I was definitely NOT a preemie- almost a month late- (sorry mom) , and London wasn't a preemie either. So the chances of both of us having it was pretty coincidental. When I was 2, I had open heart surgery to correct it which left me with a sweet huge scar on my back. It was great news though that nowadays they can usually correct it with a procedure through a catheter instead of major surgery. Yay! We go in on the 16th up to primary children's and they'll do an ink test first to make sure the catheter procedure will work. Fingers crossed!

Here she is at the docs office. She LOVED the cardiologist because he naturally smiles the whole time he talks, so she would just stare at him with the biggest grin. She layed so still during the echo too. It took over an hour and she slept through most of it.

No comments: